Bryan
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  12+ years of professional support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

How do I permanently disable any windows update on my

How do I permanently disable any windows update on my laptop. My laptop is running Windows 10. In the past I have tried disabling Windows Update using the Services option, but once you turn off the laptop, and turn it back on, it forgets that and enables the windows update again. Any advice please to stop these updates permanently from happening

Hi, I am VanHilton M Welcome to JustAnswer premium service, thank you for utilizing this service.

I will be assisting you to fix the issue you are having.

May I know what troubleshooting have you done?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Just the troubleshooting mentioned in my first message. Disabling Windows update in the services option

To disable automatic updates on Windows 10 permanently, use these steps:

1. Open Start.
  2. Search for gpedit. ...
  3. Navigate to the following path: ...
  4. Double-click the Configure Automatic Updates policy on the right side. ...
  5. Check the Disabled option to turn off the policy. ...
  6. Click the Apply button.
  7. Click the OK button.

Keep safe thank you, ***** ***** get an offer for premium service please hold off on that for now. That offer is automatically generated by this website, not by me. I can offer you whatever is needed to solve your problem.

Disregard the remote service, that is just an automated offer it does not apply in this case.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
When I search for gpedit. it doesn't bring up anything except for web search for gpedit
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I've attached a screenshot to the previous message
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you for the link. So yes I see it allows according to the website to put a hold/pause on updates up to 35 days only, but is there any way to disable any windows updates permanently?

To disable the Windows Update service in Services Manager, please follow the steps below:

1. Press Windows key + R. Type services.msc, then hit Enter.
  2. Search for Windows Update.
  3. Right-click on Windows Update, then select Properties.
  4. Under General tab, set the Startup type to Disabled.
  5. Click Stop.
  6. Click Apply, and then click OK.
  7. Restart your computer.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
this was my initial message when I started the chat. I said: How do I permanently disable any windows update on my laptop. My laptop is running Windows 10. In the past I have tried disabling Windows Update using the Services option, but once you turn off the laptop, and turn it back on, it forgets that instructions and enables the windows update again. Any advice please to stop these updates permanently from happening.

2. Search for Windows Update.
  5. Click Stop.
  6. Click Apply, and then click OK.
  7. Restart your computer.

Hi, my name is*****’m sorry to hear you're having trouble with your system. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Please stand by; typing up some steps now.

First, please download the NTLite tool as follows:

https://www.ntlite.com/download/

Download and install the 64-bit version, then open it up.

Select Remove > Components at the left side, then scroll down and UNTICK Windows Update and Optional Features.

Then apply the changes and restart. This will permanently disable any instances of Windows Update from running from now on.

If you have any follow up questions or issues, you may reply back to me below. Thank you,

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I can't see a Remove, Components . Screenshot has been attached

One moment, please.

Looks like they have made some changes to their free version. Please stand by,

You can remove/uninstall this above tool now - it's way too complicated.

Instead, download this tool:

https://www.carifred.com/wau_manager/WAU%20Manager.exe

Open/run the file and TICK only one option: "Disable the built-in Windows Automatic Updates and use only WAU Manager"

Click Save and Apply at the bottom and follow the prompts.

Once done, do a restart.

Windows Update will be completely and permanently disabled thereafter, and you can just keep/use this tool to manually update Windows anytime, if needed.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you so much. That was really useful. By any chance, is there anything similar to this that I could use for my Android phone. Every evening I also get an update screen showing on my Android phone (Huawei) to proceed with an update. I would like to also stop this too. Do you have any expertise on Android phones regarding these updates? Thank you for all your help.

Yes, no issues - what's the model number of this phone?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
EVR-L29
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Last week I accidentally clicked the Agree button, and a software update to Android 10.0 was installed on my device. I wanted to also check whether it is possible to go back to the previous software version without loosing any data?

There's no easy way to roll back to a previous software/OS version without rooting the device. But you can disable/hide further updates and notifications as follows:

Go to Settings > System > Software update > tap on the three dots > Update settings,

Disable/turn off Auto-check for updates and Wi-Fi auto-download.

Then, follow these steps as well:

• Head to Settings and tap on Apps & notifications.

• Tap on three dots at the top-right corner and select Show system to show system apps.

• Find and tap on the app that says System Update.

• Tap on Notifications and then turn the toggle to the OFF position.

Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: 12+ years of professional support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.