TechMinister
TechMinister, Troubleshooting
Experience:  CEH
104179447

I have a Lenovo T450 it runs windows 10 but my previous

Customer Question

Hello I have a Lenovo T450 it runs windows 10 but my previous version won’t start properly anymore. I have a new version of windows it only gets as far as copying windows files and gives me an error message when getting files ready for installation. Please help I’ve even tried putting my usb into different ports then starting again. Nothing works.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  TechMinister replied 14 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.
I am Sundeep and I will try to do my best to help you today.
To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No thank you

I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble with your windows installation. I know that can be frustrating.
Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.
Thanks for your question. To help me better assist you, please tell me

1. From which source are you trying to install ?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Im using a flash disk. Usb

From which source have you downloaded the OS to your flash drive ?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It was from Microsoft

Did you downloaded the OS form Microsoft website ?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.

Thank you for the information, I am checking on it, will be right back.
If you see Secure remote assistance message, please ignore it, its an auto suggestion for computer troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok thank you

You are welcome. Please follow the below methods and see if its fixed

Method 1: Unplug all other external devices

Unplug all your USB devices and other peripheral devices including the internet cable. Most of the times the Windows installation will throw an error because of bad hardware drivers or outdated drivers.

It also turns out that after copying the files to your computer, windows installation might not need your USB drive anymore. Just unplug your drive and see if the installation will continue from where it left off.

Retry to see if this works, if not, go to the next method.

Method 2: Reduce the size of HDD or SSD disk space and format it

You only need around 20GB of space to install windows 10. We will recommend reducing your installation partition to around 125GB. This will reduces the chances that the space you are copying to is corrupted. You can reduce the disk space by clicking on the “extend” option after choosing to custom install windows 10. Make sure, however, that your hard drive is healthy and not damaged in any way.

If you are doing a clean install, make sure that you format the partition you are installing into. This will iron out the bad sectors and records. To format your partition, choose to install a customized Windows 10, click on the “format” button and accept to format.

Retry the installation.

Method 3: Download a new Windows 10 ISO image file

There is a possibility that the image file you downloaded has a corrupt file that would not be decoded or be copied. It is entirely possible that the file is missing from the USB drive or the disk especially if you downloaded the file via image creation.

You will need to download the files again, create your USB installation drive and then retry the installation. To download Windows 10 .ISO file, go to the Microsoft page here. You will also get instructions on how to download and use the media creation tool to create a bootable USB drive. While installing, make sure to uncheck the Recommended Windows settings and check if that works.

Method 4: Try writing the image onto another USB drive

In the event that your USB drive is corrupt or has an unreadable section, then the buffer technology will detect this error and throw the 0x8007025D error on your screen.

You will therefore need another USB drive for this method. Create the installation files into the new drive and retry the installation. Creating the installation drive from another computer might help resolve the issue.

If you were using USB 3.0 earlier, you could try using a USB 2.0 port since it uses a different technology from USB 3.0 to read the data.

Here is our guide on how to use Rufus to create a bootable Windows 10 USB media device. If you wish to use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool to create your drive, follow the instructions here.

Method 5: Run a memory diagnostic on your RAM and replace a bad RAM stick

If all the above methods have failed, then we are down to the most expensive method here and this is probably the problem with your PC. However, this has solved the error for most of the installations. It seems that the Windows 10 setup would rather not install Windows on your device if it finds a bad RAM, than crashing all the time after installation.

If you have two RAM sticks, each of at least 1GB, you can try removing either and trying the installation (swap if the first one returns an error). You can also check for RAM errors using the memory diagnostics tool in BIOS. To run a memory diagnosis simply:

1. Immediately on booting your PC. press f2, or f8, or f10 key (depending on your computer) repeatedly, to enter the BIOS setup window.
  2. Use the Left Arrow and Right Arrow keys to select Diagnostics.
  3. Use the Down Arrow and Up Arrow keys to select the Memory Test, and then press the enter key to begin the test. Make note of the errors

If it persists or you find error in your RAM, replace your RAM and retry your installation.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok I will try these steps

Thank You.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Method 2 comes up with this if I want to format the partition
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
There’s are multiple partitions as well that I can’t use I can only use partition 3

If you want to delete all the previous data, you can format those partitions and can make new partitions.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Now I am getting this error message
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It’s still formatted the partition should I try and install on it now?

First try to delete the partitions, and the create partition and then format each partition.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I tried to delete them and get this error message

Make sure you only have one disk that you intend to install Windows connected. You can try:

1. Boot up with Windows installation media (USB/DVD)
  2. On the first screen. Press SHIFT + F10 and type
    diskpart
    select disk 0
    clean
    exit
    exit
  3. Continue with Installation, select custom, select the unallocated partition then click Next (Do not create partition/format. Let Windows create the needed partitions.
  4. When prompted for product key. Click on "I don't have the product key" or "Skip this step"
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Should I press shift and f10 before the computer shows windows setup?

Yes.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I’ve pressed shift and f10 nothing happens. I get put here.

Please select the relevant option and proceed.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The only relevant option is partition 3 the rest won’t even delete format or allow me to click next.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I’ve tried to install with partition 3 and I get this message

Please check the below video link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqqVIMZ9s8I