ExpLari
ExpLari,
Experience:  Expert
117177496

I cannot manage 2 take a system image of my Pc. Hp laptop

Customer Question

I cannot manage 2 take a system image of my Pc.
JA: What's the brand and model of your product?
Customer: Hp laptop running windows 10...I get a error msg when trying 2 take an image backup. not enough space to create the Shadow Copy
JA: What HP model do you have?
Customer: HP G61
JA: What have you tried so far with your G61? Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: it was running windows 7 and I got it upgraded. Its now running Windows 10
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is the problem...insufficient space on the source drive ...drive C:
Category: Laptop
Expert:  ExpLari replied 15 days ago.

Hello, I am Larimar Caldera. Your computer expert, it is a pleasure for me to answer your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Expert:  ExpLari replied 15 days ago.

Dear user I see that you have problems to generate copies of your files, could you please send me a picture or screenshot where you can see the state of the disks in the windows? You can see this by opening any file explorer folder, then in the left menu click "this computer" and from there you will see the available hard drives.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank u.....please confirm that i have paid using my debit card
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
i dont want the technician to connect to my Laptop.....I am happy to wait here for an answer
Expert:  ExpLari replied 15 days ago.

I'm sorry but I can't see that kind of information, for any payment information you can go to the just answers help center.

Expert:  ExpLari replied 15 days ago.

Dear user, could you please read my message where I asked you to provide me with an image of the current state of the disks of your computer?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
ok I will do this now...going to log out of my phone and login again on my laptop in order to take a screen shot....thks 4 yur time...will msg u when i am logged in on the laptop....thanks
Expert:  ExpLari replied 15 days ago.

thank you very much here I will be waiting for you to take your time.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok no problem thanks. There is only 1 question that I asked and I want to add to it..in asking how do I take a screenshot of my HP laptop screen
Expert:  ExpLari replied 15 days ago.

If you are on windows 10 you can do the following, press the key combination "windows+ shift + S" and you will get a window where you can drag the mouse to capture the image from point to point as if you were in a Paint, after capturing the image open a program like "paint" and press "ctrl+v" or right click on the white field of paint and press "paste" save the image and after saving it place it here as an attachment.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
File attached (314S5S3)
Expert:  ExpLari replied 15 days ago.

Thank you very much, it seems that you have no problems with your hard drives, please could you tell me if you are trying to copy files to a USB flash drive?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am backing it up to an external hard drive.....drive d:
Expert:  ExpLari replied 15 days ago.

Dear user please try this, go to the folder where the file you want to copy is located, browse to the file, right click on it and select "copy" then go to the external drive, open the drive and inside right click and select "paste".

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I Copied 1 dir to the ext
ernal hard drive and it worked ok
Expert:  ExpLari replied 15 days ago.

Dear user, so you were able to make a copy of the file you needed, is this correct?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
i can copy 1 or a few files but this is not what I want to do. I want to do Start -->Control Panel --> Backup and Restore-->Take a system image backup
Expert:  ExpLari replied 15 days ago.

you want to create a copy or backup image of your windows this is correct?

Expert:  ExpLari replied 15 days ago.

If that is what you want please access the following link and follow the instructions if you get stuck or lost please do not hesitate to contact me.

Expert:  ExpLari replied 15 days ago.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/backup-and-restore-in-windows-352091d2-bb9d-3ea3-ed18-52ef2b88cbef#:~:text=Select%20Start%E2%80%8B%20>%20Settings%20>%20Update,network%20location%20for%20your%20backups.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
That link covers Restore not Backup. I want to take a System Image of my PC via Control Panel --> Backup and Restore . Thank u so much for your valued time.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The error msg I am getting says that it has not enough space to create a Shadow Copy. There is lots of space on the destination drive...so I assume its complaining about lack of space on the C: drive.
Expert:  ExpLari replied 15 days ago.

sorry for the wait I continue to review the issue to find the cause and solution.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No rush...please take as much time as you need. Thks Barbara
Expert:  ExpLari replied 15 days ago.

May I suggest another method to create the backup?

I can't find out why windows' own function to create the image doesn't work correctly, so we could use the third-party tool.

Looks like windows can not created the image if the drive is allready in use

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I understand thank u. What third-party tool would u suggest to take a System Image backup
Expert:  ExpLari replied 15 days ago.

I would suggest one that I normally use to do this sort of thing,

* https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank u so much. I will try that now....
Expert:  ExpLari replied 15 days ago.

always at your service, if you have any questions you can ask me

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I downloaded and installed Partition Wizard as you suggested. Its successfully backing up the C: drive now. It will probably run for a few hours. Thank u so much for all your help.
Expert:  ExpLari replied 15 days ago.

I am glad you were able to solve your problem, I am always at your service.

Expert:  ExpLari replied 15 days ago.

I hope this info to be helpful, my goal is to give you the best advice i can, if you have any doubt or want to know anything else please do not hesitate to reply back. The experts at just answer will always be there to help you. For future enquiries you can contact me directly using @ExpLari Kind regards, Larimar

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have to take a break for a few hours, so u might wish to shutdown this case. Thks again for all your excellent help. Thks Barbara
Expert:  ExpLari replied 15 days ago.

I am always at your service, have a good day.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Many thanks. You too.
Expert:  ExpLari replied 14 days ago.

Always a pleasure