Daniel Cochren
Daniel Cochren,
Experience:  Veterinarian/Owner at Self
8634083

Just asking if you have a list of the Toxic plants hedging,

Just asking if you have a list of the Toxic plants hedging, trees etc that are dangerous to Alpacas?
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Alpacas
Assistant: Did you see what the alpaca ate?
Customer: that hasnt happened yet...we have to plant hedging which will be round the paddocks the Alpacas are in and would like to know which sort is safe sort for alpacas and not poisonous
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the alpaca?
Customer: no ....they are all well and breeding well ....only have this important question if you could help plerase
Oleksandra-Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i would like to wait.....

Good morning, and thanks for your question concerning poisonous plants and alpacas. My apologies for the delay with someone getting back to you. I just logged in and saw your post. My name is***** and I have been a large animal Veterinarian for 19 years. I am happy to help you with your question. Are you still needing some help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would rather have it on email .....we dont have a sick Alpaca as yet but are wanting to know what type of hedging /Trees are toxin free to plant round the paddocks to prevent having poisoned animals
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
maybe I need to ask a tree expert rather than cause you a problem

Thanks for getting back to me, and you are certainly not causing me a problem!

There are numerous plants that can be toxic to alpacas, and it may be a bit easier if I knew what types of plants you are planning on planting around the paddocks. Do you have particular plants in mind?

Thanks,

-Dan.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Spruce for one area Copper Beech for another part

Neither of those plants have any toxic properties for any animal species, so no worries!

The test that I use is called "A Guide to Plant Poisoning of Animals in North America", by Anthony Knight and Richard Walter, and is published by Teton New Media. Below are some links to the book, in case you are interested in obtaining a copy.

I hope I've been of some help, but please let me know if you have any further questions.

All the best,

-Dan.

https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Plant-Poisoning-Animals-America/dp/1893441199

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/guide-to-plant-poisoning-of-animals-in-north-america-anthony-p-knight/1101600891?ean=9781893441118&pcta=n&st=PLA&sid=BNB_DRS_New+Core+Shopping+Top+Margin+EANs_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP211445&gclid=CjwKCAjwzqPcBRAnEiwAzKRgS_asulL8DYN-1to2VMeonm5ZXYyMstzDUZitpOUChHzVHqHZd-nLoxoCO20QAvD_BwE

Daniel Cochren,
Experience: Veterinarian/Owner at Self
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your help....I have now the answer so will be able to get planted before winter!....many thanks again

Happy to be able to help, and happy planting~

Many thanks,

-Dan.