Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

Do cows have good memories If I was to be walking back throu

Do cows have good memories
If I was to be walking back throu the field after another swim would they come over to me to see if I had anything for them.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Yes cows do have good memories and can certainly learn, for example the sound of the farmer coming meaning feeding time etc. However as with any learnt behaviour repetition is likely to be needed to fully associate one thing with another I.e you and tasting salt. So after just one exposure they may still approach you, but it would probably be more out of curiosity than memory.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I see. So if I was dressed as o had been in the other question and they came up to me again it would be safe to let them have a sniff and a lick ?

Well I would be cautious of doing this as they could nip or pinch your skin. Also they can transmit certain diseases such as E.Coli

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would need to have a good wash after contact with them. Would there be any part of me after my swim that they would get more of the salt taste from.

Yes you would... Although I really wouldn't advise letting them lick you all over. I don't think any particular area would be more salty

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would they be interested in what I was wearing after the swim.

No I wouldn't have thought so unless you were wearing long or flappy clothing, they may try and chew it

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
great help. so you don`t think that the cows would try and lick the wet swim trunks?

Well I couldn't guarantee that they wouldn't, but I don't think they would specifically go for that area

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks you can close the question now.