How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Holly Your Own Question
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7049
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
Type Your Law Question Here...
Michael Holly is online now

We recently moved to a new house in a small development of

Customer Question

We recently moved to a new house in a small development of houses. A neighbour has converted their garage which runs alongside our garden fence to a gym to run a personal training business. Part of that training is a speed ball session which causes constant noise. Every afternoon several people attend the property for these sessions and the noise is just unacceptable. It is very intrusive even with the windows closed and it would be impossible to have the windows open or use our garden with the noise continuing. Attempts to talk to the neighbour have failed, she is very aggressive and says she has been running the business from there for years and therefore has a right to do so and the local Council cannot stop her. I have young children and although I work I am at home two days per week and quite frankly the noise is affecting my daily life and I cannot comprehend what it will be like when the good weather comes and we wish to open our windows or enjoy our garden. The business is openly advertised on a website and is a fully fledged business, other neighbours requests to her to stop have met with intimidation and aggression. Please advise what on earth action we can take to stop this intrusion on our peace and quiet in our own home.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 5 years ago.

You need to contact your local council since you can try to solve this using two different routes which both involve the council. The first is that she is running a business from home in breach of planning regulations, whilst she thinks that the council cannot stop her they may feel otherwise.

Secondly you need to speak to the environmental health department since even assuming she cannot be stopped from running the business the level of noise is unacceptable and assuming it is too high the council can stop her from having the speed ball sessions. The council will come and monitor the noise level whilst a speed ball session is taking place.

I hope this helps. If I have missed something or you have further questions please reply

Best wishes

Yours sincerely