How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35038
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My wife and I are grandparents to 3 boys whose mother, our

Customer Question

Hi. My wife and I are grandparents to 3 boys whose mother, our daughter, died 14 months ago. Since then the eldest, James 15 years has found it increasingly difficult to live with his father. During the last 3 months James has been living with us on a full time basis and has moved all his possesions in. We love having him and he has no intention of returning to live with his father. However, we get no financial support for him, and as pensioners ourselves, we would not turn him away but we feel its a little unfair that his working father does not support him. Additonally, and this is the main point, when it comes to signing for doctors, dentist and other related issues requiring a parent signature, we have to seek out his father. This issue raised itself last weekend whilst we were away some 200 miles from home, what if anything should happen that requires a legal signature for medical care etc. We would be obliged if you could give us some guidance on the way we should proceed, and although we have scanned the internet, we are uncertain of what is best for both James and us. Regards Mr & Mrs XXXX

Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
When will he turn 16?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Clare. James will be 16 in August 2013.


Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
Is his father likely to agree to any action that has to be taken?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Clare. Initially he was a little upset but after James was adamant he was not going to return, his father suggested we have him on a 2 month trial basis. That has now expired and we are seeking guidance to what is the next step to make it a permanent thing.


Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
You can apply to the courts for a Residence Order for the young man which will give you a form of Parental Responsibility until he is 16.
This can be extended to 18 at the discretion of the court
You will need the the permission of the court to make the application as you are not a parent.
The forms needed are Form C100 and C2 = both available here
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi. You really haven't told us any more than we have gleaned from scanning the Internet. I feel I have wasted £22 !!

Regards Mike.

Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry - I can of course only explain what the basic law is.
I am happy to answer any follow up questions so that you are certain that you have all the information that you need concerning your specific issues.
You have a limited time within which to make the application - and of course it has a limited life.
However if there are specific issues you would like assistance with then please let me know