How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71057
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi, I think i have an outstanding court fine from 20yrs

Customer Question


I think i have an outstanding court fine from 20yrs ago. It was for offensive weapon. Firstly, how can i check this, and secondly, how can i pay it ? I am currently living overseas and have done for over 20yrs.

I also might have a traffic fine but again it was so long ago i cant remember if i've paid it or not. I have no documentation on this at all. Is there any way of finding this out ?

Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.
Would you please explain the offences in BIT MORE DETAIL?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

for the offensive weapon, i had a kitchen knife on me which they deemed to be an offensive weapon. It was in my pocket. I got searched because i was walking around London at 4am with nothing to do. I was with a friend and stupidly i listened when he told me we should carry for protection.


For the traffic fine, i got stopped for no insurance and tax i believe.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.

Do you know which court it was before?

I'm just travelling to court but if you can give me until about 10am then I will be able to concentrate fully.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thanks. I think i might have the original court document which will have the court on it. I will reply within the next 2 hours with the actual court.


For the traffic one, i think it might have been croydon but am not sure as i have no paperwork and it was about 16yrs ago

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The offensive weopen one was Dartford gravesham and medway magistrates court in 1992

Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.

If you are overseas then it is actually fairly safe as they are not going to come and arrest you over seas even if a warrant does exist. Its just not worth the manpower.

You need to take two actions. You are in luck because I know that both of those courts are still sitting so its not a case of you dealing with courts that have been subsequently closed down.

You need to call both courts and ask if there are outstanding fines in your name. They might well have no record of them if they are that old. The effect of that will be that you cannot pay them. If the fines do exist then you can negotiate payment over the phone with the collections department. If that does happen then that will be an end to the matter.

You also need to phone both Croydon police station and, probably Dartford police station, and ask if a warrant is out for your arrest. Make sure you explain you are overseas or police officers will attend at your old address.

If there is a warrant for your arrest then the only way to resolve this is to surrender at Court. It can't be done remotely unless, of course, you pay the fines and then it would be withdrawn.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the reply. What do i do if there is no record of the fine ?


If there is a warrant for my arrest but i pay the fines (which i intend to), will it be withdrawn ?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, I didn't see this. give me 10 mins to type out a response.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.

If there is no record of the fine but a warrant does exist then there is really only one way to resolve that and that is to surrender.

Do not surrender to the police station. They will just keep you in custody overnight. Go to the relevant courts and surrender there. The PLO may put you in a cell but at least it will not be overnight.

That way the matter will have to be resolved and if they really can't find a record then it will be rescinded.