How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

Last week, I became a British Citizen (ex-South African) at

Customer Question

Last week, I became a British Citizen (ex-South African) at a ceremony in Abergavenny, Wales. I am busy completing my application form for a British Passport. However, I do not have my parents marriage cirtificate. My father was born in Germany in 1901 and was South African, and my mother was born in Germany in 1912 and was also a South African. I am 61 years old. The passport application form question no 4 asks for details of my parents and a section asks "if both parents were born abroad, we will also need the name etc of grandparents. This is impossible....both grandparents were born sometime in 1800 and died when my parents were still young. How will this hinder my application?
Many thanks - - Sylvia Newson
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is Alex and I'm happy to help with your question today.

The only real option you have is to explain the position at page 3 under the additional information section. The likelihood is you'll be asked to attend an interview to clarify the position but ultimately this shouldn't cause too many difficulties once you have given an explanation. You cannot, of course, provide documents that you do not have.

I hope this helps.