How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

My husband and his 3 other siblings were left a quarter share

This answer was rated:

My husband and his 3 other siblings were left a quarter share of a will. His share was to be put into a trust and on his death the money was go to be paid to our 2 children. My husband has done a disclaimer saying he no longer wishes for her money and the money should then be transfered to our 2 children.

Can the estate executor stop this disclaimer being put into place.
How old are your children?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the children are 30 and 34

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The children are 30 and sorry 36 not 34

Thanks. As long as children are over 18 that is fine. He is doing a deed of variation. Nothing wrong or unusual in that. It means he drops out of the equation and the children take in substitution. The executors/trustees cannot stop that unless there is a provision in the will (which I have never come across) which prevents it.

Can I help further?

Please bear with me today because I will be
online and off-line

Please dont forget to positively rate my
answer service (even if it was not what you wanted to hear) and I will follow
up any further points you raise for free. If you don't rate it positively, then
the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. If in ratings you feel that
you expected more or it only helped a little, please ask me for further info
before rating me negatively otherwise I don't get paid at all for my time and

The thread remains open. Thanks

James Mather and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. The only other thing is if they wanted to give me or their father a gift from their money would this be acceptable and no question of fraud

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

If the children give a gift to my husband from this money can it be construed as fraud and the tax implications for the children

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Can you tell me if the children give any money to my husband can this be mistreud as fraud and also the tax implications for our children

I assume that this has nothing to do with avoiding care fees because if it did you would have mentioned it.

Once the children own something they can give it to who they like including their father.

If you explain concern I can clarify

There is no income tax or CGT but IHT may be payable depending on the value of their estate when they die and when it was given