How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK-Justice Your Own Question
UK-Justice, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16193
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK-Justice is online now

Hi,I had southern Electric come out and change my gas meter.

Customer Question


I had southern Electric come out and change my gas meter. They left it leaking of gas and I had to call out emergency gas team to come and fix it. When they arrived they told me that the job was carried out really badly and that the gas meter was leaking from the ECV valve.

As a result I had to take a day of work and get my own plumber out to asses the situation. In the end the emergency team had to change the ECV valve and install the meter properly.

Can i sue southern electric for the my time off and for the cost of my own plumber.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE so that I am credited for my time.


You should write with a copy of the invoice from your own plumber and evidence of time off work and ask for payment within 14 days or say you will go to court.

If they refuse then you can sue for breach of contract as they are in breach of section 13 sales and supply goods services act, which is failure to act with all reasonable skill and care.

If they refuse then you can issue proceedings online at - you will have to pay a fee but this will be added to the claim.

As your claim is likely to be below £5000 it would be a small claim and you won't need a solicitor.

I hope this helps you,

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 5 years ago.
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?