How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34910
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi, My estranged husband walked out 14 months ago, but is

Customer Question


My estranged husband walked out 14 months ago, but is now telling me he is laying down what time our son goes to bed. I have explained that I am quite capable of setting a bed time which I feel is reasonable for our 8 yr old son and whilst he is living under my roof it's my rules that count. He is now saying he is going to take me to court to get custody if I keep ignoring him.

Can he do this?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is Claire, I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
Your ex has no power to dictate how you care for your son when he is with you unless you are endangering the child in some way which clearly you are not.
There is no way that a court would change the residence of the child on a dispute over bedtime