How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

After the sale of my house to pay for care. what is the legal

This answer was rated:

After the sale of my house to pay for care. what is the legal amount i am allowed to keep. Has this amount chsnged during the last five years?
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

at present i believe the amount of my assets i can retain is arouind £27,500 and the rest of any assets have to be used to pay for care. How has this amount altered, if at all, during the past 5 years?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

4 years ago a relation sold my mothers house for around £ 90,000. He reckoned that all of the money was used to pay for my mother's care, But I have recently realised that a certain amount could be legally held. At present i think this is £27,500. What would this amount have been 4 years ago/

Is the property in England or Wales? The reason is that the amounts are different.

Is he looking at recovering some money from the local authority? who sold the house? Did he sell it? who paid the care fees? Did he pay them?

We really need the full background to see whether there he actually has a case or not. Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the property was in England - Norfolk

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

He sold the house, paid the care fees. I know there was a legal amount that did not have to be paid - i just need to know the amount

figures have hardly changed. In England, the disregard is currently £23,250.

2008/2009. It was £22,250

Wales the current figure is £23,500 and although I could not find the figure
for 2008 2009, I imagine it would be in line with England at £22,500

I help further?

next part is really important for me:

don't forget to positively rate my

answer service (even if it was not what you wanted to hear) and I will follow

up any further points you raise for free. If you don't rate it positively, then

the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. If in ratings you feel that

you expected more or it only helped a little, please ask me for further info

before rating me negatively otherwise I don't get paid at all for my time and


The thread remains open. Thanks

James Mather and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Final question - what was the disregard in England in 2007/2008 and

2006/2007. Was it the same as 2008/2009 or lower?


Many Thanks

There is no index of what they used to be like there is for RPI and other indexes. I just happen to know the older figures. You are therefore faced with making lots of enquiries on the offchance that you find it. It would not have been higher