How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

i am going through a divorce, ( got the decree nici). I am

Customer Question

i am going through a divorce, ( got the decree nici).
I am french national living in UK, and my ex is pakistani. We have a 7 months daughter.
My ex now wants me to apply for my daughter's french passport all of a sudden and threatened to go to court if i dont do it.
I dont see why she needs a passport right now, and if its for travel she can also apply for a pakistani passport herself.
There is no residence order in place as far as i am aware or any other court order. I have parental responsibility but i still havent been able to see my daughter.
I would like to know if the court can force me to get the passport, and if the court can issue such order what do i risk if i dont do it. As i fear that my ex may take my daughter abroad and i wont be able to do anything
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is Claire, I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
She cannot remove the child from the Country without your permission or an order from the court - and since she could apply for a Pakistani passport herself it is highly unlikely that the Court would order you to apply for a French passport
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

lets say she her solicitor manage to convince to court that she needs a french passport, what do i risk if i dont comply with it.


Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
I cannot see any scenario where this could happen - but the only threat that could be used would be the risk that you would be sent to prison for contempt of court.