How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

i was made redundent from the Royal Navy in 1996, I met my

This answer was rated:

i was made redundent from the Royal Navy in 1996, I met my wife in 2004 and we married in 2007, we separated last year and she now wants a divorce. I recieved a lump sum compensation at the time i left the RN and i recieve a small ammount (£124 pcm) is she entitaled to any of this as it all happened 11 years before we married
Please give me the following information.

What is the house worth?

If you have a mortgage how much is outstanding?

How long together?

Other assets or pensions, savings, etc?

Both incomes?

How old are the children?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

house is worth £220,000

Married.......5 years

no other pension/savings

not sure on income self employed

No children.Together both have 3 from previours marrige

Is the £124 per month ongoing income?

How much of the lump sum do you still have?

Does she earn any money?

Has she decided not to continue with mediation because it was not going the way she wanted? Please explain

.. Thank yo
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes ongoing till death
lump sum all gone

she has a small job

i understand she only had to attend one mediation meeting as a prerecreisite for legal aid

So she is wanting some of the £124?

The £124 is simply treated as income , along with your other income.

To be frank, on these facts,, it is probably going to cost more to argue then she is actually arguing over u unless you have a lot of savings somewhere. What exactly is she wanting in total?

Are you eligible for legal aid? are you using a solicitor?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

hAVE A MEETING WITH SOLICTOR ON wEDNESDAY. Not sure if im eligible for legal aid. Will ask then


Just wondered as this was money from when i was in the Navy years before i met Sally weather or not she had a claim on it????

Thanks for your help ..........Nige

is a possibility of a liability for spousal maintenance, maintenance paid to
keep a spouse , as opposed to children. Although most commonly paid from
husband to wife, that is not necessarily the case. Spousal maintenance is based on both incomes, ability to earn money, previous lifestyles and most
importantly, need. There is no exact formula, but these links will give some


It is not about equalling incomes or assets.

Can I help further?

The next
part is really important for me:

don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not what you
wanted to hear) and I will follow up any further points you raise for free. If
you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for
my time. If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a
little, please ask me for further info before rating me negatively otherwise I
don't get paid at all for my time and answer.

The thread remains open. Thanks


James Mather and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

many thanks there is more to this than a yes or no answer will put it to my solicitor on Wednesday........thank again Nige

I am just on my way into the office and will get back to you as soon as I arrive.