How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hello, I have a 10 years old daughter who is now having the

This answer was rated:

Hello, I have a 10 years old daughter who is now having the 11plus exams in two different independent secondary schools. She is at present in a outstanding Catholic state school in Highgate. We are italiancand we came here in Septmber 2011. We were not informed about the uk school system and therefore we didn't contact any tutor before the exam. caterina, my daughter is anyway very clever and this septmber we contacted a after school tuition school for assessing her. Briefly, they asked me the actual school report (which I brought them and which is stating she is A both in math and english) . After assessing her, they refused to tutoring her stating firmly , stating clearly : " She will never pass these exams because they are for the brightest children in thr country". They knew which schools she was going to try to get in and they knew already that Caterina was working with me after school for practising. Today she had already sat at both the exams and she had easily completed the tests in both schools. For one school she is already been selected for the further step of the interview. The final result will be publish next february but in the meantime I would like to ask you : in case she will be offered both the places in these two school can I ask for damages ? We were very impressed by the words of these persons and for 15 days me and my husband just thought it was better not to try to go ahead with the preparation for these exams and Caterina wanted to renounce to try them. She could really have missed this opportunity for 10 years.
can you please help me in explaining me what and if I can do something? 3
Elena Carapelli [email protected]
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your question.
I am afraid that there is no claim that you can make.
The Tutor gave an opinion and thankfully your daughter proved them wrong.
You can certainly write to them and point out how wrong they were - but you have not suffered any monetary loss and there is no claim that you can make
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Claire, of course At the moment we don't have any letter confirming the offer of the place but in the event of it I was not our offence was not in money but the damage was psycological especially for the child. Furthermore this bad experience could have result in a much more important impact ( the missed opportunity to get into these schools) for 10 years. I hope you will take all the required time to better analise my situation.
Thank you for your help Elena
I am sorry whilst I understand completely what you mean unfortunately there is no UK law which allows you to make a claim in these circumstances.
This is both because you ignored the advice and your daughter went on and passed the exam and because there is no claim for psychological distress in such instances.
If there had been some financial loss on your part then that would in fact have made it easier to make some sort of claim.
The only way open for you is to make a formal complaint to the school about the way that you were treated
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hello again, thank you for your answer . I really didn't mean this but can I ( just for personal satisfaction) ask back the amount of 87 pounds which was the cost of this precious and usefull assessement? Thank you
Yes that is a letter worth sending!
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So, you mean I can ask them back this amount but I have to waittill the 21 of february when and if I will have the positive results and can I send the letter by myself or I need an attorney?

Hi Wait until you have the result and then write the letter yourself asking for a refund since clearly their "professional" assessment was substandard Claire