How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK-Justice Your Own Question
UK-Justice, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16193
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK-Justice is online now
This answer was rated:

We purchased a new house last year from Bellway we paid £310k

they told us they would... Show More
they told us they would give is a discount of £5k for completing on time the figures reflect this, however we have since discovered our neighbours in the same property as ours paid £281.950 7 months previous to us and £295 this appears a big difference in 7 months, though the main concern is the identical property next door which was built simultaneously to ours and was sold at £293k we have rang Bellway who said its up to them what price they negotiate our concern is that at no time were we told we could negotiate a lower price could we be entitled to any money back as we were not offered the same opportunities as our neighbours? we feel £28k difference is a huge amount of money for the same house.
Show Less
Ask Your Own Law Question
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

Did you get a survey valuation done?
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.

No we didn't

Customer reply replied 5 years ago.

No valuation done as we were cash buyers having sold our previous property some time ago

In short you have overpaid - is that right?
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.


Customer reply replied 5 years ago.

I haven't received a reply from the expert does he/she require more information from me?

Customer reply replied 5 years ago.

when can I expect my expert to respond?

I will type my response, but please bear in mind I am In court.

Have you complained to any ombudsman yet?

What I can say is that legally there is not a lot you can do.

You could have had the house valued - you did not.

This could have shown you that the house was overpriced. But you did not and that was a matter for you.

So in those circumstances if you tried to go to court you would lose - on the baiss you could have taken reasonable steps to prevent this loss.

In any event unless you say that would not have purchased, even if you won, the judge would not award compensation,

However there is a home builder ombudsman.

They are independent and can mediate your complaint. It may be that the matter is resolved that way.

They can be contacted at

However can you take them to court and win for overpaying - no. This is because you could have had a valuation,

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want but based on what you have said this is the legal position.

If you do need follow up please bear in mind I am in court - thanks.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Customer reply replied 5 years ago.

I haven't taken any action regarding this matter it wasn't the value of the house I was concerned about it was more the issue that the house builder had not gave us the opportunity to negotiate a lower price as the had with other neighbours.

Thanks for the update.