How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK-Justice Your Own Question
UK-Justice, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16193
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK-Justice is online now

Question relates to English / Scots law. I live in England

This answer was rated:

Question relates to English / Scots law. I live in England am friends with a woman in Scotland. She is in a bad marriage and we exchange emails and instant messages daily in which she talks about her plans to divorce and get out. Her husband has been monitoring her email and messages using a keylogger - has has admitted this verbally - and knows everything we have discussed, including personal detail about me, my job and my wife.

He has texted me and left me voice messages saying he is going to tell everyone I know what he has found out about me, and has told her that he will send copies of all our messages to my employer and my wife. There is some very personal stuff involved that he has obtained illegally by hacking/logging her personal accounts.

As this threat is mostly verbal apart from a handful of text messages, is there any legal way I can prevent him from doing this - e.g. a restraining order of some sort?
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

Have you made any complaint to the police?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi. I have not as yet, but we agreed yesterday evening that she will go to the Police in Edinburgh today and make a complaint. If she does not then I will do so tomorrow in London. The only reason she will not to is today is if he will not let he go out of the house alone, which is often the case.

This can be considered harassment.

This is where someone pursues a course of conduct likely to cause a alarm, harassment or distress.

This is illegal both in England and Scotland.

You can complain to the police here. They can investigate the matter and contact their colleagues in Scotland.

The offender could then be warned about his conduct. If he then contacts again you can complain to the police and they could prosecute.

But conduct does not need to be direct, it can be indirect such as contacting colleagues etc.

But even though it is cross border it is still the same offence within the uk.

I hope this helps.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?