How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34902
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Work Permit and need to pay IPA and BHPA?

Customer Question

I'm a Malaysian and was offered a job to work in London and the company (JKX Oil and Gas plc) refer me to local company in London (Carib Immigration Association) to apply for the Work Visa/Permit. I have paid 556.56 Pound Sterling via Western Union money transfer as requested to Carib for the UK Boarder Agency VISA Fee. Now Carib also told me that I have also to pay some 4,750 Pound Sterling as part of Department of Expatraite Resources (DER) which I need to gain membership from British Independent Pilots Association (IPA) and British Helicopter Pilots Association (BHPA) which mandatory requirement set by DER. I don't find the logic of paying IPA and BHPA as the position offered with Oil and gas company is Ship Scheduller. Please guide me if this is correct or it is just a scam. If it is a scam, can I het back my 556.56 BGP back?. My email is [email protected].

Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is Claire, I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
I am so very sorry but you have indeed been the victim of a scam - the fact that you had to pay via Western Union would have been evidence of this even if they had not been asking for fictitious membership fees.
I am afraid that there is little likelihood of your recovering the money already paid
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dear Claire,

Since I use Western Union with the person to receive and address to deliver the money, Dont you think the Agent of Western Union should have some personnel ID detail taken before releasing the Money to Carib Immigration Associates?



Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
I am afraid that Western Union is used by scammers because there is in fact no way of tracing where the money goes
You can certainly report the fraud and find out more here