How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 13329
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now

i have half share in a freehold in a house which i have the

Customer Question

i have half share in a freehold in a house which i have the top/1st floor the other person has the ground floor. i want to convert the loft into another room and the person on the ground reckons i need his permission to carry out this work as he holds half the freehold. i do need his cooperation on this but his permission where do i stand on this
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Can you provide a little more information. Do you mean you have a floating freehold on your part of the house or that both parts have leases and each leaseholder has a half share in the freehold.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

we are both leaseholders with a half share in the freehold

Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. In that case you need to read the lease but the likelyhood is that under teh nlease you will need the consent of the freeholder to do the work . If you have a company and there only two of you then you proably will need your neighbour to agree.