How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK-Justice Your Own Question
UK-Justice, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16193
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK-Justice is online now

I have undertaken works as a sub contractor for a company

Customer Question

I have undertaken works as a sub contractor for a company the company i have done these work for refuses to pay me because they are saying that the main contractor as gone into administration and that we should take a loss as well as them
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

But you were instructed by the company that refuses to pay you and they are still trading - is that right?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.


Expert:  UK-Justice replied 5 years ago.

It makes no difference. Your contract is with the company that is refusing to pay you, NOT the company that went under.

As such you should write and ask for payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court.

If they refuse then you can issue proceedings. You can do this online at: - you will have to pay a fee but this will be added to the claim.

You are also entitled to claim interest from 8% from the date you ask for the money.

If the claim is below £5000 then you wont need a Solicitor.

If the claim is above £5000 and contested then you will need a Solicitor to draft proceedings and present your argument in Court.

You will be surprised how quick matters are resolved once proceedings are issued.

I hope this helps.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 5 years ago.
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?