How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

My mother has died and my older sister who is 66 who was born

This answer was rated:

My mother has died and my older sister who is 66 who was born with Downs syndrome
and is incapable of looking after her affairs, personal & financial is now going to live
with my husband and I on a permanent basis, will I need to have an Appointeeship
for her? Jacqueline
Are you the only relative?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi I am not the only relative, my father is in a nursing home and my brother has his power of attorney as unfortunately my father is completely unable to deal with anything. My younger sister is not

willing to look after my sister at all.


Telford & Wrekin Council social services have agreed that living with me is her best option

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi what more information do you want?

Is she mentally capable of giving consent to a Power of Attorney or just incapable of managing her affairs?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No she is incapable of giving consent to a Power of Attory and incapable of managing anything.

Thank you.

You have to apply to the Court of
Protection to become what is known as a Deputy.

In your sister was capable of granting
consent, then you could have applied for a lasting power of attorney, but that
is not an option in this case.

Deputy ship will then give you
authority to manage your sister's affairs in total.

There are two types, and you may want
to apply for both. Finances and also health and welfare.

Unless you know what you are doing, you
might want to get a solicitor to deal with this for you. Although there is no
reason why you cannot do it yourself, the paperwork is full of pitfalls for the
unwary. It takes several months (there is no shortcut) and a solicitor will
charge about £2000.

There is some reading here

can I help further?

Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was
not what you wanted to hear) and I will follow up any further points you raise
for free. If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and
I get 0 for my time. If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only
helped a little, please ask me for further info before rating me negatively
otherwise I don't get paid at all for my time and answer.

The thread remains open.

James Mather and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Just 1more ? can I get form from court to complete asking doctor for letter of confirmation as 2 her capacity?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for getting in touch. I realise the pitfalls of going alone but unfortunately there is little funds for me to do this and go through a solicitor, so luckily have 2 daughters who have done law degrees and master so hoping we can get form from Court and go on from there.


I have had to do many forms for benefits for my sister so I know must be aware of doing things correctly.


Sorry cannot add bonus for you although I know time is money. Jacqueline



No problem. I am glad to help. I hope you get sorted. Regards