How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I need to know what my rights are!! I have finally spoken

Customer Question

I need to know what my rights are!! I have finally spoken to my partners mother regarding our relationship that needs to end. I am a homeowner and have been living with my partner and our child here for 7 years. When my partner first moved in it was quite rocky, however both of us as it is our only child really wanted to make it work. It is clearly evident now that it isnt working!! Our child who we both dearly love is now 9 is going through a tough time because their is constant negativity in the home, which is ripping me apart. Their are so many issues, the main one (at the moment) is that my partner will not listen to me when I have said on numerous occasions that he has to leave. He has point blankly refused and seems to think he has a right to stay. My partner is self employed and has not contributed well to the day to day financial needs. I started recording 3 years ago as it was becoming a real issue for me. To date on basic housekeep and half towards my sons activities he owes me over 10,000. I would not be concerned however if I bring up and ask when I can exect some maintenance it ends up being a serious row. I am now at the point where even if he accepted counselling (which I know he would not go to) that this relationship is over.
I have touched on some of these issues with his mother and said that he needs to go. He has a flat that he lets out nearby so acomodation is not an issue. When I mentioned his going last week, he replied with only the words March. i have hung on to those words and tonight said "remember, you need to start organising and speak with the estate agents" which he totally blanked and I suspect has no intention of organising his departure. My son has been re-assured by both of us, however as a 9 year old kid is taking sides which my partner seems to be enjoying. I am seriously depressed over the whole situation and want this to be resolved in the best possible way. Your advice will be gratefully appreciated.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 5 years ago.
How long has he resided there?

What contributions does he make to the utility bills?
Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
Please confirm that the house is registered in your sole name?
Has he made any contribution to any alterations and improvements?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.



Yes the property is in my sole name and I also paid the deposit independently.


He has made alterations to the house such as painted throughout and refurbished the bathroom. He has paid part to this in materials as I have. other than that most of the furnishings have been purchased by me.

Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
As a starting point he has no right to remain in your property permanently.
You do have to give him reasonable written notice to leave - at least 28 days - and at the end of that time you can simply change the locks whilst he is out and then pack his belongings for collection.
You can then call the police if he tries to return.
He may have a financial claim on the property if he has paid towards improvements to the property - it will be limited but you may wish to negotiate with her using Family Mediation (