How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK-Justice Your Own Question
UK-Justice, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16193
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK-Justice is online now

I may be about to inherit some money. I dont know exactly

Customer Question

I may be about to inherit some money. I don't know exactly how much it will be. I am on state benefits of DLA, housing benefit, and income support. If the amount I inherit is over the £6,000 limit for savings when on benefit, but I spend the extra amount straight away, for example on a modest car or carpets and furniture, will this be considered to be fraud by the DWP? Do I have to tell them about the money even if it is less than £6,000? If the total inheritance was, say, £8,000 but I spent £2,000 on things I really need, would they still reduce my benefits as if I still had the £8,000?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

How much will you get, do you have any idea?

Do you know roughly?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I think it will be about £12,000

Expert:  UK-Justice replied 5 years ago.

You have to declare any money to receive even if it does not change your benefit.

But what I can say is that anything over £6000 will affect your benefits.

If you have over £6000 about £1 is deducted for every £250 over.

If you get the money then get rid of it, it still counts as they can say you put yourself in that position.

Anyrhing over £6000 will be included in the benefit calculation.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you are looking for but based on what you have said, this is the legal position.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 5 years ago.
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?