How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

I have been co-habitating with my partne for 10 years. He

This answer was rated:

I have been co-habitating with my partne for 10 years. He owns the house. I have helped him start a racehorse training business at home, working in the yard and also doing invoices and VAT invoices. He pays me £100 a week for this. He has made a will and his assets will be put in trust and I can remain living at the house or sell it until I die and then it will go to his children. We don't have any other agreements in place. If we separated what are my financial rights
Do you have children and if so how old are they?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No children. He has 2 from a previous marriage

Financial rights regarding what? His business assets and savings(not the house)?

What is the work you do worth? Has he ever promised you anything which you are worried he wont fulfill?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

If we separated would I be eligible for any financial contribution from him to find somewhere to live and cover the period until I am in full time employment again (I currently work part-time as well as doing racing work). He also has a business as well as the racing yard. I do not expect his business, house or savings assets.

The work I do is worth approximately £15k a year in this part of the world. He hasn't promised me anything. Perhaps that is the issue

So it is seperation that concerns you not death?

Other than an employment claim you are not married and have no children so have no claim for any maintenance.

Your financial situation isnt strong therefore I am afraid.

I appreciate that this is not the
answer you wanted but there is no point in me misleading you. I suspect it what
you thought and hence the question.

Can I help further?

Please bear with me today because I
will be online and off-line with clients and other users and travelling

Please don't forget to positively rate
my answer service (even if it was not what you wanted to hear) and I will
follow up any further points you raise for free. If you don't rate it
positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. If in
ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little, please ask
me for further info before rating me negatively otherwise I don't get paid at
all for my time and answer.

The thread remains open.

James Mather and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

What is an employment claim and how much is it worth?

You are entitled to continue your employment with him even after you split up. If you find it intolerable to continue to work there. All he makes it is so uncomfortable that you cannot work there, then you can bring a claim in the employment tribunal.

With a wage of £100 per week, even if
you win, it is not going to provide you with enough income to live on. You are
unlikely to get more than a few thousand pounds.

My colleague Claire has kindly added

Actually since she says she helped him start the business she has a good if limited claim to a suitable lump sum to help her move on.

I can expand that.

It depends if you actually were involved in the business itself and setup or simply worked there.

Employees have no right to a share of the busines they work in, but if you were part of the business you may have a claim.