How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

my husband and I separated a few years ago. I bought him out

Customer Question

my husband and I separated a few years ago. I bought him out his share of the property
and title deeds transferred into my name. We reconciled a number of years later and bought a new home together. I kept the initial home which is mortgage free and which I rent out. I have always contributed all the rental income into our joint account.
The marriage isnt working an we are splitting agin. He is demanding half of the first property (my home).
I also paid the 50,000 deposit on our new home he contributed nothing...spoken agreement I would get back if our relationship broke down. How likey would that be.
This is my sons inheritance and my husband is a heavy gambler...hence my concerns!
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 5 years ago.
Please give me the following information.

What is the property worth?

If you have a mortgage how much is outstanding?

How long together?

Other assets or pensions, savings, etc?

Both incomes?

Do you have children and if so how old are they?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The 1st property in question (mine) is worth £100,000


The second £220,000 with 150,000 mortgage


My income £47 500 approx

Partners 31,000


Children are over 21yrs


Both contribute to work pensions.


married in total 25yrs split 2003, reconciled 3yrs ago...I left to work away 1yr later due to problems in relationship, contributed all income to home. Been at home past year. Relationship not working due to husbands unreasonable behaviour!!

Expert:  James Mather replied 5 years ago.
I am going to refer this to a colleague for you. No need for you to do anything.
Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
Was there a separation agreement or anything similar signed at the time of the first separation?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I asked my lawyer to draw up formal separation.

But I did not get anything to sign apart from the legal paper

around the house sale.

Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
Was there any correspondence which dealt with what was agreed
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

only the transfer of title deeds and letters fro solicitors discussing the agreement and strongly advising my husband to seek legal advice

Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
Are you now planning a divorce?