How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71032
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi, basically, my cousin has been making malicious phonecalls

Customer Question

Hi, basically, my cousin has been making malicious phonecalls to my daughters school. also to my sons portage group and to social services and the police, how can i stop her???? there is no substance to any of these allegations apart from my cousin has a serious physicatiric disorder and wont leave me alone
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.
What are you hoping to do about this?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I want to know if i qualify for legal aid as I receive DLA for him, if i do i want to take her to court for slander

Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.
No, you will not I'm afraid.

Defamation is a very expensive action and there is no legal aid. It will cost in excess of £25,000 to bring a contested claim and it can only be privately funded.

The statements she has made may amount to defamatory ones but the problem would be costs.

You may have a harassment argument as well here but you would also have the risk of adverse costs.

This type of action is not one that you could fund by legal aid Im afraid.