How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71050
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

if i asked if i have asked builder to some work . no agreed

Customer Question

if i asked if i have asked builder to some work .
no agreed price after finishing work he gave invoice
I have have more that half of money as work was not completed to the satisfaction.
It was shabby job and he did not fixed the problem too!
I dont want him to continue working as I have lost confidence in him.
As good will gesture I have offer him further some money ( £500 first and then offered further £200 of £ 935 total bill.
Now he is threatening to take to court
Can I use "The supply of good and service act 1982?

Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.

Whats wrong with the work?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

it was radiator in kitchen doesnt work and very small for the kitchen! `He used bathroom radiator and also very small size he should have used almost 3 times bigger. He has damaged the kitchen wall requiring decoration. As result of work he air locked rest of house and partially bleed the radiator ! we had to get british gas engineers to fix the air lock.

He was suppose to stop leak from window and front door roof . It is still leaking

Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.
Have you given him the opportunity to put this right?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

we did asked him

he said it will cost more as he will have to change the radiator and will need more money to fix the leak


Customer: replied 5 years ago.

due to that we just dont want him to continue and wanted to pay him 735 instead of 935 and get the problem fixed from someone who understands about room heating! We never agreed on price and feels it was too for work he has done

he did do some plug pins for the garage and also a small radiator in garage utility/kitchen

Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.
Why does he say he should fix the faults? Does he not accept there were faults?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no he says he tried and it did not worked!

about radiator he thinks i chose the radiator

But I am not expert and I did not see his work as when he started work i was at work and my wife was at home!

when I came back the radiator look very small!

what can i do?


Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.
Do you accept that you did chose the radiator?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no i said he is expert and he should have advised and and I only saw the image in book I felt the the size will cover almost area of old radiator but it was less than half!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.
Does that mean you did choose the radiator?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I agreed to type but not the size
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so do i have to pay up? or asked hime to fix the problem for agreed amount
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.
I'm afraid that could be a problem.

Ultimately he would say you selected the radiator and there would seem to be some support for that. You could try to argue that he should have pointed out the size but its not the best point.

In relation to the leak, if he did not fix the problem then you are not liable to pay for that.

This isn't really an issue of losing confidence in him as he is just plain unwilling to return so the issue of giving him opportunity to put right any issues falls away.

If you didn't agree a price and he accepts that then the sum claimed would just be the value of the work compared to other tradesmen in the area.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what is the reasonable settlement
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.
I'm not sure what you mean?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
if he asks for 935 and i ampaying him 735
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.
If he didn't fix the leak then thats probably going to be considered reasonable.