How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK-Justice Your Own Question
UK-Justice, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16193
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK-Justice is online now

There is a plot of land that adjoins my back garden. It cannot

Customer Question

There is a plot of land that adjoins my back garden. It cannot be accessed unless you cross my land, or the land of one of the neighbours. I have been maintaining it over around seven years, e.g. clearing leaves, painting the fence/wall etc. It is "fenced off" as if it were part of my land.

The owner wants to sell it to another neighbour.

Do I have any rights over the land?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

I am sorry to say no.

The law has changed in that you need the land for 12 years use.

You only have 7.

In the event that you did have 12 years then you would have to apply to the land registry for registration.

They would notify the owner who would be able to object.

If the owner objects then you do not get the land, if the owner did not object then you would get the land.

But you only have 7 years access, you need 12

I am sorry if this is not the answer you are looking for but based on what you have said, this is the legal position.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.