How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK-Justice Your Own Question
UK-Justice, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16193
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK-Justice is online now

Defamation of Character. I am currently undergoing court proceedings

Customer Question

Defamation of Character. I am currently undergoing court proceedings with my ex partner in relation to him having contact with our daughter. Proceedings have been delayed because the safeguarding checks have not been undertaken. He came out of court and posted onto facebook that "the judge had said he would have to do something next time...whether she likes it or not" (meaning me).The outcome of the hearing was to do with the delay in the safeguarding checks, and not influenced by me. Can I sue him for defamation of character posting this untruth about me (and the judge)?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

Not really.

This is because in order to sue for defamation then you would need to issue proceedings in the High Court with a jury trial.

If this is a contested cost then you are looking at about £10,000 in legal costs.

If you lose you would also have to pay legal costs of the other side.

This is why rich and famous people issue proceedings - and you wont get legal aid for this.

It would be something that the Judge can deal with - he can deal with this in terms of contempt of Court if appropriate.

I realise that this may not be the answer you want, but based on what you have said and the costs, this is the legal position.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 5 years ago.
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?