How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71130
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Scottish Power have read my meter wrong since moving to new

Customer Question

Scottish Power have read my meter wrong since moving to new premises. We have underpaid by £57000 over a three year period. Have offered to pay back total over 3 years but they refuse. Do not have the funds to pay. Cannot use Ombudsman as I employ more than 10 people. They are threatening to cut us off. We are a Print Company and this would finish us after trading for 27 years with 24 staff.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.

How can I help with this?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972 Can Scottish Power cut me off without going to court? I understand that domestic supply can only collect outstanding amounts for 12 months , what is the law regarding business use.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry but they can cut you off without going to court. They are a service provider. As your mobile phone company can cut you off without a court order so can the electricity board.

What they cannot do is enter your property to fit a pre paid meter without a warrant to do so. However, if you are in default upon payments its not very likely that they would get such a warrant if they applied. I realise that its not your fault but that makes no difference. If the utilities have been used they have to be paid for.

There are some protections for children living in such a house but you have to be very careful with that as social services have been known to remove children from their parents on the basis that its not a fit home.

It would be a good idea to negotiate repayments with them.

Failing that, I'm afraid, you will be at risk of living from solar power.

Sorry thats probably not the answer you wanted but it is the position that you have and I have a duty to give you truthful and accurate information even though its not what I want to say.

Hope this helps. Please rate my answer OK SERVICE or above and I can answer your related questions.