How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK-Justice Your Own Question
UK-Justice, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16193
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK-Justice is online now

I was served with a summons @ 7 45 pm tonight to appear at

Customer Question

I was served with a summons @ 7 45 pm tonight to appear at a petty sessions hearing under the family homes and domestic violence (Northern Ireland)Order 1998. I am currently going through a messy divorce since June 2010 and my spouse and I are living under the same roof. My spouse is alleging that our two children aged 18 and 12 are in danger due to my alleged poor mental state. I am asking for advice as I fear I may not be able to contact my own solicitor before the hearing and therefore would have to attend the hearing with no legal representation.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

You should attend but ask for an adjournment on the basis that you are not legally represented.

So while you should make attempts to get legal representation and if you fail to do so you can apply for an adjournment and notify the Court of the steps you have taken.

You can't just do nothing and ask the Court to adjourn.

But make attempts and then ask the Court.

I realise that this is stressful but hope this helps.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 5 years ago.
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?