How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK-Justice Your Own Question
UK-Justice, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16193
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK-Justice is online now

If someone was abused by a family member, but did not report

This answer was rated:

If someone was abused by a family member, but did not report it to an official person as not believed by others when they told them. Years later, with no contact with the family member, they are accused of reporting the same family member for abusing another child and threatened with legal action. What possible legal action can happen?
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

Legal action in what way and from whom?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Not sure - they said they are seeing a solicitor to see if they could press charges or sue.

Sure for what? Making allegations?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I think for making allegations recently, and for saying what he did to me when I was young. I've heard a few things he is claiming - like I have said and done things I haven't - I'm sick of it and want to be left alone but am worried he might actually try to press charges but he has no proof to do it - from what I understand he is just fitting the pieces of what has happened to make out I reported him. Sorry - hard to say exact details in an open forum!


Then it is unlikely anything will happen.

It would only ever be libel - this is not a criminal offence.

Just by making claims years ago is not a criminal offence.

In any event if they are going to take action it must be within 12 months of the alleged libel.

As such they would need to issue High Court proceedings with a Jury Trial.

The cost of this would be about £10,000 for a contested trial.

If they lost they would have to pay the legal fees of the other side.

This is why rich and famous people tend to only issue proceedings.

Therefore I really do not think you need to worry.

The cost is far too much.

I hope this helps.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
UK-Justice and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks - and sorry I gave no tip - things are quite tight and you do worry about such claims as hard to pay for... If they do decide they have evidence I made recent official claims (unlikely but can never say) - how long would it take to find out from their solicitor? I guess a month or 2?

Sure no problem.

I can't say how long it would take to find out - but I assume sooner rather than later....................

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Always the way! Thanks though - you have reassured me there is little to worry about

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes it did thanks :)