How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71129
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

If a jury has retired so they can reach a verdict can they

Customer Question

If a jury has retired so they can reach a verdict can they be shown more evidence from a defendants statement that was omitted in court as it was edited. Can they be shown additionaal CCTV that was taken and also not used in court.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.

If a Jury has retired then either side can still apply to reopen their case and introduce evidence. The Judge won't be very happy about it and will scrutinise the application but it would be allowed if it had merit.

I would be careful about putting in evidence that counsel has advised against though. Counsel does not exclude things for no reason.