How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71051
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

What ha;;ens when disabled person getting disability

Customer Question

what ha;;ens when disabled person getting disability benefits, pension are moved to a nursing home. do one have to inform somebody and does all the benefits, pension cease
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.
Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

my ex partner suffered from huntingdons chorea and became totally disabled. I have her power of attorney, All her affairs was being looked after be me. Now she has been moved from home to a nursing home.

1. Do I have to inform the social services about change of circumstances

2. Does all her benefits, disability benefits and pension ceases to come into my account as she is in a nursing home?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.
1. Yes, you should inform.
2. Benefits may be lost depending on the situation. Obviously things like housing benefits would be removed. However, DLA is not means tested. Its to pay for the cost of managing the disability. If a person is moved to a nursing home then realistically the cost of managing the disability has changed and they are entitled to reassess her claim with that information.
Sorry if thats bad news but they are entitled to assess with that information.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Who do I talk to. I am in epsom, surrey and my council is Reigate and Banstead county council

Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.
You should report to the DWP office that pays the benefit