How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71153
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have broken up with my boyfriend, the relationship ended

This answer was rated:

I have broken up with my boyfriend, the relationship ended abruptly. He is now going around telling people that I am mental and a nut job. I was walking my dog last night talking to my son on the phone when I saw my ex boyfriend in the street last night, he was raising his voice to me telling me that I was mental not right in the head and a nut job this was witnessed by two passers by who were disturbed, and I was also distressed by his actions. At the time when he was shouting at me, my phone was still connected to my son who is also distressed by this.
I see and view his actions as slander, I live on a new housing estate, of which he works on too, and find his actions uncomfortable
What exactly would you like to know?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
For jomo1972
What are my opinions.
With the witnesses and one was a passing police officer, would he be guilty of slander.
I am aggrieved of his actions, I can't sleep at night worrying what others think of me
Slander is defamation. That is not a criminal offence. Its a civil matter only.

You could launch an action. That will cost in the region of £10k to £25k and there is no legal aid.

If you lose then you would be liable for his costs in much the same region.

I must admit that if the only witnesses were two in number then that is not public enough to amount to a defamatory statement. This is just general gossip which is not defamation I'm afraid.

The highest point may be a S5 public order but since the police officer didn't act that would tend to suggest it could not have reached that level.

Sorry thats probably not the answer you wanted but it is the position that you have and I have a duty to give you truthful and accurate information even though its not what I want to say.

Hope this helps. Please rate my answer OK SERVICE or above and I can answer your related questions.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
For jomo could a warning letter by a solicitor be composed to stop him from continuing his actions
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
For jomo1972

Could a letter from the solicitor be compiled and sent to him to stop him and his actions
You could send a solicitors letter. That would be much cheaper probably costing about £100-£150 plus VAT.

Obviously it may cause him to stop or it may not.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Jomo1972 Are you able to help compile a letter
We are not allowed to do that under the rules of this site.

You would need to see a high street solicitor I'm afraid.