How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My daughter and her ex who werent married have a son who is

This answer was rated:

My daughter and her ex who weren't married have a son who is 3 years old. He hasn't been a good father so far but if he thinks my daughter may be starting a relationship with someone else he then threatens that he's going to go to court for custody. He has paid nothing to his son's upkeep takes drugs and most of the time is indifferent to his son only bothering when he thinks ther may be another man on the scene. My daughter is not being allowed to move on with her life as she is worried what her legal rights are. Please can you give me some advice. thankyou

concerned nan
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your question
Please confirm that the father is named on the birth certificate - and what contact has he had with his son in the last six months?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi claire


Yes the fathers name is XXXXX XXXXX birth certificate he sees his son maybe twice a week but more often if he thinks my daughter may be seeing someone.





How long is contact for each time?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

sometimes he has him overnight mostly its a few hours after work or on a weekend and then he usually goes to his mothers with him. He has never had him for a whole weekend and if he's ever unwell which is quite often as he suffers with his chest he takes him straight back to his mother.My grandson has been admitted to hospital a few times in the last few months but his dad is never available to go to the hospital with him his usual excuse is he's been drinking.

Unless your daughter starts a relationship with someone who is a known risk to children there is no basis on which her ex can remove her child from her care
Your daughter needs to agree a set pattern of contact using Family mediation ( make it plain that if he doesn't attend there will be no contact until it is next due.
She should also approach the CSA for a maintenance assessment
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thank you Claire your advice has put my mind at rest.

You are most welcome I hope all goes well