How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71031
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi I live in London. A person had recently been harassing

Customer Question


I live in London. A person had recently been harassing me and only stopped after the police issued a first offense warning. Recently this person has again started sending threats to my parents in India(e.g. "I will find and kill you", "I know is in and he dies on road") via email and phone but the police in London have refused to take any action as they say that as my mother is in India they cannot do anything against this person. Can you please advise me on the best legal recourse to stop this person harassing my family?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.


I am sorry but if he is misbehaving in India then the UK courts do not have jurisdiction over the matter.

Your only hope would be to report the matter to the Indian authorities and hope that they take action.

No UK Court can regulate harassment abroad.

I suppose that if he were making contact with you from India then there would be an argument that at least part of the offence was committed in the UK but I'm afraid the police are not going to extradite him from India for what is ultimately at its highest a S4 harassment matter.

I'm very sorry but i have to give you truthful information.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I think you misunderstand. The person who was harassing me was and still is doing it from London and was given a first warning by London Met police before. He's now threatening my parents who are in India, police say because my parents are not in the UK, they can't do anything even if this person is sending them death threats from London.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.
Thats certainly right.

Unless they themselves come to the UK and make a complaint then the UK police would not investigate or be able to prove this.