How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49860
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I accidently paid someone online by mistake. They said they

Customer Question

I accidently paid someone online by mistake. They said they would return the money but have not done so. What should i do
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 years ago.
Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to be able to assist with your question today. Please let me know what method did you use to pay them?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Barclays online banking.It was a casual labourer who had carried out somme work for us and is no longer employed. His details are still on the system and I accidently paid him rather than someone else. The amount was £1320.00

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 years ago.
This particular payment method will not offer you any protection in a sense that neither bank will be able to do anything to recover that money for you. Once it has been sent, only the account holder has the power to send that money back to you. That means your only option is to go after the recipient personally. At first I would advise that you contact them, if you are still able to do so, inform them of the situation and ask them to voluntarily return the money you paid them in error. If they refuse or ignore you, then you should contact them one more time this time making it clear that the next step will be legal action. If it comes to that you may take them to the small claims court but there is no guarantee that you will be successful and even if you are there is no guarantee that they will simply pay up. They may still refuse, in which case you are then looking at enforcement action, such as bailiffs, charging orders, etc. So it could be a long process.

Please take a second to leave a positive rating as that is a very important part of our process. Your question will not close and I can continue providing further advice if necessary. Thank you