How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

Hi, in 2006 I was granted maintenance from my ex-husband of

This answer was rated:

Hi, in 2006 I was granted maintenance from my ex-husband of £1000 p.month until 2016. I notice that February payment was not made. I have no contact and can't find out if the payment, made through his bank to mine, was cancelled due to data protection. Don't know what to do next. Please help.
Val Cumpstey. .... 01209 712643 (Camborne, Cornwall)
Do you know where he lives? Are you in contact with him? Have you asked him?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

At time of divorce he was living in Poland. I've had no contact at all. He is a captain on sea-going tankers, so could be living anywhere. I would love to ask him but only know his bank account was with Lloyds in Helston, cornwall.

Do you think that you can find his address?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No, I would not know where to start! I only know that he was on a course run by Anglo Eastern crew management in Sept. 12. That is only because he put a comment on- line. Don't know where it was or if he was working on the course or just a participant. Sorry.

Don't worry, that is why we
are here, to assist you with problems like this.

This firm will do no find no
fee (I have used them on many occasions) for 50 quid plus VAT.

They also do international
searches for under £150, but from what I remember, it is not no find no fee.

The only one person they
failed to find for me was someone who had deliberately covered his tracks which
appears not to be the case here.

Armed with his address, you
can make an application to court to enforce the judgement, although if he is
living in Poland, you are faced with enforcing the English order in a Polish
court and will need a Polish Lawyer to do that for you.

If the tracing agency fails to
find him, you can make an application to court for an order to the bank to make
them give you his address for the purpose of enforcing the order.

Can I help further?

Please bear with me today because I will be
online and off-line.

Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not
what you wanted to hear) and I will follow up any further points you raise for

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating. It
doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask me for further info before rating me negatively otherwise I don't
get paid at all for my time and answer.

The thread remains open.

Thank you.

James Mather,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience: Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
James Mather and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for that. Have phoned person on that link you gave me... he says, for data protection, he can only act for me if a solicitor,!, act on my behalf and instruct him. Thgen he's happy to take it on. So what do I do now?

I am afraid that we are unable
to take instructions on here, so you need to find a local solicitor who will
deal with it for you.

If your husband is in Poland,
you are going to need one in any event

Do you know which firm he works for?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No, only the name of the company running the course he was present at in September 2012..... Anglo Eastern Crew Management.

Does he have any assets in the UK - and do you ant reason to think that the bank account has been closed?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No assets in this country that I am aware of. No reason to think the bank account is closed...... I do know the account no. etc. Also, that he has a good pension with BP. Sorry, not very helpful, but you can see why I'm frustrated and don't know where to begin!

No worries - is the pension in payment?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No, not that I know of. He was 56 in October.

In terms of the £1000 he currently owes you can deal with this by making an application against his Bank account - using Third party or "garnishee" proceedings described here
Of course this does not solve the long ter m problem if he continues not to pay you
In that case you can instruct an enquiry agent to trace him - not all insist on being instructed by solicitors - and once you trace him you will be able to enforce by a number of methods - especially if he is living in an EU country - details here
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your help.

You are most welcome - good luck