How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71130
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

in 1996 i was found guilty of sexual abuse with a child but

This answer was rated:

in 1996 i was found guilty of sexual abuse with a child but was subsequently cleared on appeal. i was told that i had no criminal record for the alleged offense but in the last 18 months have been hounded by my ex's family and have had to move twice do to this. at one point a detective visited my last address and i found out that someone had requested my alleged offence details under "sarah's law". how can this be if i was cleared on appeal?

The conviction would have been removed upon appeal.

However the fact of the allegation and the original conviction will still show on your PNC and your enhanced level CRB check. That is not removed.

It will just show that it was over turned on appeal.

The detective is free to reveal information about it if there is a child protection issue - for instance you are living in a house with a child in the course of a new relationship.

Sorry thats probably not the answer you wanted but it is the position that you have and I have a duty to give you truthful and accurate information even though its not what I want to say.

Hope this helps. Please rate my answer OK SERVICE or above and I can answer your related questions.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.


i am not in a relationship and no children are involved .

if i was cleared by the royal courts of justice surely this is wrong to have stigma attached to something i didn't do.

do i not have human rights? right to family e.t.c.?

I'm afraid not.

You have not been cleared. The fact the conviction is overturned does not prove you did not commit the offence. All it does is confirm that it was unsafe for some reason. That is not the same thing as being able to show you didn't commit the offence.

Of course, sometimes people are not convicted because they are innocent but thats not the only reason and the quashing of a conviction does not prove innocence I'm afraid

You do have a human right to a family life but its not an unqualified right and the safety of others is a consideration.