How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

hello,my farther died in december without leaving a will,he

Customer Question

hello,my farther died in december without leaving a will,he had lived with his brother for the last four years,so after the funeral my uncle says dad didnt leave a will and 3 to four years ago my uncle transferd my dads property into his name with my dads consent...because my dad wasnt happy where he was living..and his brother suggested the idear of moving to a bigger house with large garden etc,in my uncles name..because my dad had a bad credit dad i understand agreed to surrender his property so he could do this and have no there anything i can do to contest this as i belive that my uncle new that my dad was a chainsmoking alcoholic and wouldnt live that long i said my dad happend to die of bowel cancer 3 years later.Thanks
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 5 years ago.

Did your fathegr indeed transfer the property of his own free will?

Were you and your father in regular contact?

Was this done through solicitors?

I need fine details please. Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

he did transfer of hes own free will ...we was in regular contact untill his brother moved into his then house..then it was hard to get him to ring back etc... my uncle said it was hard to do and is legal..

Expert:  James Mather replied 5 years ago.

If your father did it of his
own free will, and I am not certain what your problem is.

Can you please explain?

Did your father do this
through a solicitor?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

hi,im no sure if it was free will or not...i was always understood by my dad that i would be the benificary should anything being his only son..since his brother moved in to his house it was vey hard to comunicate with him and this wasnt helped by him living 2hrs away...i dont know if it was done through a soliciter but he said it was legal..i led to believe that my dad transferd ownership to his brother so uncle could release some equity to buy the new house they were both gona live..iv only just found all this out in the last im just trying to check if there anything i can do as basically there is no will and ive been left with nothing and tree years ago he had a 120000 pound property

Expert:  James Mather replied 5 years ago.

You said before that he did. Now you say you dont know. If this ever ends in court you need to be certain.

It seems avery odd thing for father to do. Why did he do it do you think?

Have you got the deeds from Land Registry. You can get them here for just £3.!ut/p/b1/04_SjzS0tDQwMTIxMjLXj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0c6McFQH3SLFU/

You will know when and if it was transferred.

Ask uncle which solicitors father used. If he refuses to tell you, you can apply to court to make him tell you or ask Land Registry wehich solicitors submitted the transfer docs.

I am offline shortly until tomorrow