How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK-Justice Your Own Question
UK-Justice, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16193
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK-Justice is online now

My sons company have declared themselves insolvent, and have

This answer was rated:

My son's company have declared themselves insolvent, and have laid off the work-force. He has sought to sign on for job seekers allowance, but is told that the company have not passed on to the HMRC his National Insurance contributions for the last two years, and so refuse job seekers allowance.
What can he do?
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

Have you appealed?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

At this stage - No -


In what form can an appeal to the DSS be made?

You can appeal now.

It should make no difference whether or not your employer paid.

If the deductions were made that is not enough,

If you can not get contribution based benefit you would be entitled to income based benefit.

You should appeal. The matter will then go before an independent tribunal to decide whether or not you should be awarded it.

But you would need to appeal quick, as there are strict time limits on this.

I realise that this is stressful but hope this helps.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
UK-Justice and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for this information. My daughter in law is a self employed child minder, and her last years net income was £7,590.00. They have a 6 year old daughter. How will this affect the receipt of an income based benefit (i.e. job seekers' allowance)?

It may - it needs to be declared.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your advice.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?