How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

I am a building contractor who took instruction from an insurance

This answer was rated:

I am a building contractor who took instruction from an insurance company to carry out repairs at the home of one of their clients. The insurance company now says that due to some undisclosed claims their client's policy is void and I must seek recompense from them. My argument is that I have taken instruction from the insurer, therefore they must be contractually obliged to pay me. Am I correct?
How much is the bill?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

£2500 + VAT

From the brief facts you have
given me, I agree with you.

What form did the instruction
from the insurance company take?

Are they disputing that they instructed you to do the work?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I sent a mandate form signed by their client, together with a quotation and then received instruction to proceed, I think by e-mail. We then uncovered further problems on site so I contacted the insurance company and was told verbally to do the additional work. There is no dispute that they instructed the work. I sent two invoices, one for the original agreed price and one for the additional work.

That doesn't completely answer
the question.

Did they tell you to do the
work and give you the whole instruction or did they simply agree that it could
go ahead?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

They accepted the quotation and told me to go ahead. They also asked the approximate cost for the additional work before telling me it was okay to proceed with this also.

Okay thank you.

The financial ombudsman will
not deal with commercial matters. So, you are faced with small claims court.

Assuming that from the emails
you have got, it is obvious, and would be to a judge, that the insurance
company was instructing you that I wouldn't mess about any more, I would simply
issue small claims court proceedings which you can do quite easily online at

You have to give both parties,
the insurer and the house owner, noticed that unless you get the money within
say, 10 days, you will issue legal proceedings without further notice

I would issue them against the
insurance company as first defendant and the house owner as second defendant.
The judge will decide who is liable.

Can I help further?

Please bear with me today because I will be online and

Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not
what you wanted to hear) and I will follow up any further points you raise for

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating. It
doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask me for further info before rating me negatively otherwise I don't
get paid at all for my time and answer.

The thread remains open.

Thank you.

James Mather and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you. Should I issue proceedings against the underwriters (RSA) or just the insurers (Saga)

Issue against whoever you have had the email exchange with.