How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK-Justice Your Own Question
UK-Justice, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16193
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK-Justice is online now

We have had an extension completed. However within 12 months

This answer was rated:

We have had an extension completed. However within 12 months a new PVC window has split. The window manufacturer has accepted the blame and will supply a new window but our builder (who built the extension) wants to charge us for replacing the window. Can he do this?
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

Was there a warranty at all?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The builder dealt directly with the window manufacturer in both ordering the window initally and when the split appeared


Goods must be fit for purpose and of suitable qualify under the sale of goods act.

Generally you have a limited time to reject goods and get a free replacement.

Ideally you want to check with the manufacturer whether the windows came with a warranty.

If they did and this is within the warranty period then the builder should do it for free.

If he has any claim it would be against the window manufacturer and has nothing to do with you.

If you paid the builder to order and put the windows in then the builder, in law is liable,

So check,

if it does not have a warranty then you would expect the goods to be free from defects.

As windows normally last many years, the window company have accepted fault.

This means that the builder should replace for free and seek any cost of fitting from the window company,

But no, you should not have to pay,

I hope this helps.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
UK-Justice and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?