How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK-Justice Your Own Question
UK-Justice, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16193
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK-Justice is online now

Hi, Were a small business and have an employee who is employed

Customer Question


We're a small business and have an employee who is employed with a "zero-hours casual contract". She's been provided with a statement of employment which clearly states that she's required to give one week's notice should she wish to cease the agreement "The Company requires a minimim of one week's notice of termination of this arrangement, where you wish to cease this arrangement".

This evening the employee has emailed me (the employer) stating that she wishes to resign but has not given any reason. I suspect she's not finding the job as expected, although it was properly advertised.

The employee had agreed to work this coming weekend, which is within the next 7 days. Her 'resigning' without giving the proper notice period leaves us in an awkward position, finding someone to replace her for this weekend will be costly.

The employee is owed wages from work completed within the last month, although we feel she should pay / be penalised for not giving the proper notice period as per her contract.

Are we entitled to penalise as she's in breach of contract? Of is it advisable to overlook the fact she hasn't worked her notice period and pay her for the hours worked?

Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

How long has she been with you?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Less than a month. She signed the agreement on 31/1/13.

Expert:  UK-Justice replied 5 years ago.

You cant deduct wages unless the contract allows you to do so and even then for proper reason.

Resigning early is not that.

People give notice and leave all the time.

In reality unless the person is a high end professional or Director then you generally can not make someone work their notice.

So I am sorry to say that you just have to live with it.

It is not ideal.

But I am sorry you can deduct from wages, as this would be illegal.

Morally you have a case but in law you dont.

I am sorry.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 5 years ago.
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?