How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK-Justice Your Own Question
UK-Justice, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16193
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK-Justice is online now


This answer was rated:

Hi, not sure if this is a legal question but here goes. I had a EGG card back in 2007 which I cleared in august 2007. in 2011 I got a letter demanding payment of a barclaycard, when I telephoned to ask about this claim I was told it was in relation to the EGG card and that Barclays had taken over the account and had passed it to this thrid party. I completely disputed this claim and got the details of the final cheque payment to close the account, I sent the third party a copy of this and they came back to say the account was still open in 2009 and that was when the last payment was made. I again queried this and asked for a copy of the statement from barclays detailing the last payment. This was 28/11/11, I have received nothing at all from this thrid party or barclays but instead I received another letter this time from another third party stating they required payment. This was 31/05/2012. I again queried this and sent them all the details and requested the final statement again from Barclays. I again received nothing. I have now had another letter from yet another third party demanding payment despite the fact that my dispute about the debt has never been satisfied. What should I do now and how can I bring this matter to an end?

Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

Have you made a subject access request?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. I haven't, I'm not sure what that is. I wrote to them asking for a statement but not in terms of a specific letter or wording.
You should do 2 things:

1) Ask for a copy of the agreement under the Consumer Credit Act.

You need to send a cheque for £1 with this

2) Ask for all information under the Data Protection Act.

You need to send a cheque for £10 with this.

Once you have this you can raise a dispute with the company.

If they do not resolve the matter then you can go to the Ombudsman.

They are free, independent and can examine your complaint for free.

They can be found at:

These are the steps you should take.

I hope this helps.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
UK-Justice and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.



Yes I did, thanks very much. I sent the creditors and Barclaycard a letter and also requested a copy of the credit agreement and statement. Just waiting to hear from them now. How long should I wait for a response before escalating it?