How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71543
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I paid the full deposit and first months rent for a property

Customer Question

I paid the full deposit and first months rent for a property me and my ex partner were renting. After breaking up she has refused to pay the half a months rent and due to being lead tenant because my new job pushed back my start date, she has now taken my deposit and will only give me half back. Now this is stealing in my eyes and I have the proof to show the full deposit is in fact mine. Will I win the money back if i go to court, or is it not worth it? The amount equates to £600 (if she gives me half the deposit back) and £925 if she doesn't
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.
What type of contract is it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It was a 6 month contract

Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.
Were there reductions from the deposit made by the landlord?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No the estate agents said that the property was fine, but i imagine that is because she was intending to get the maximum amount from my deposit.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.
Yes, it will be.

You can sue her at the small claims court here

She knows perfectly well that you paid the deposit and you are entitled to it back.

Just sue her and move on and find yourself a girlfriend who doesn't use you for money. Good women put money on the table and you shouldn't be putting up with this nonsense.

Hope this helps. Please rate my answer OK SERVICE or above and I can answer your related questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

If i could ask one more thing, she owes me money that I have lent her and other costs incurred from the house such as holding fee, removal van costs and other things. Should I include all of this in the claim or just stick to the rent and deposit?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.
Was there an agreement that she would repay these sums?