How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK-Justice Your Own Question
UK-Justice, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16193
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK-Justice is online now

Hi,our business lease for the second 15 years is due for renewal

Customer Question

Hi,our business lease for the second 15 years is due for renewal in 2015, we have someone interested in taking over the lease now, so we would like to extend it for a longer period, we understand that as a general rule the landlord should extend the lease, is our only way of finding this out by asking the lanlords direct
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

Has the landlord indicated a refusal?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No, we haven't approached him yet, we want to retire, we have someone interested in taking over the company as a going concern, but he might not be interested if the lease is only for 2 years

Expert:  UK-Justice replied 5 years ago.

There are 2 choices

A. Ask the landlord

B. apply to the court if the landlord refuses to renew the lease for a new lease.

You can do this if your lease has a renewal clause and the landlord refuses, or you can not agree on rent.

The court can then determine a new lease for you.

So those are the two choices.

Does that help?

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.