How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3844
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

HSBC have taken £262.50 out of my current account. When I

Customer Question

HSBC have taken £262.50 out of my current account. When I questioned this they said it dates back to a dispute from April 2011, I have no recollection of this. Coincidentally the same happened last month with the exact amount being debited and the bank said it was a mistake and refunded the money immediately. I rung the bank and was left on hold to speak to a manager for over half an hour, I hung up as the phone call is costing me money. I don't know what to do now.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

Banks as part of their mandate have an obligation to treat you fairly. If they have not treated you fairly then you could have grounds to claim compensation. I would suggest the following:
1. Write to the bank and complain about both sums. Say that you never agreed to these deductions and want an immediate investigations into why the deductions were made and a refund.
2. If the bank do not respond to you or do not give a satisfactory response then you must make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman. They have the power to adjudicate disputes with the bank and give compensation.
3. As a final resort you could make a claim to the County Court for the loss this has caused.

I would note that you may also wish to consider, if it is convenient taking your business to another bank especially if they no longer have your confidence.

Kind regards